Monday, June 20, 2011

“I’ll have a spicy tuna roll and a vodka soda…..actually, make that Skyy Ginger and soda”


I first heard about Skyy Infusions Ginger vodka last April when I read Gail Ciampa’s review of the spirit in the Providence Journal. I was particularly excited for the chance to create cocktails that I could pair with one of my favorite dishes – sushi.

Everyone knows that ginger and sushi go great together, but I usually avoid the pickled pink root when it’s on my plate, finding it to be too strong. Now I can compliment my barbeque eel and avocado with a ginger flavored beverage. Here are five refreshing original recipes.

Sushi With My Girls
Although I don’t have the upbringing or the educational background to be a real sushette, I’m pretty addicted to this site. While a Ginger vodka soda is the obvious choice if you’re counting calories, this recipe will pair perfectly with your California Roll.

1 ½ oz Skyy Ginger
¾ oz sake
1 ¾ oz pineapple juice

Shake ingredients with ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a cherry.

Cucumber Ginger Martini
At the Crystal Palace in Magic Kingdom, one of our signature dishes was a cucumber ginger salad. That inspired this cocktail.

1 ½ oz Skyy Ginger
¾ oz dry vermouth
small chunks of cucumber

Muddle cucumber. Add ice, vodka, and vermouth. Shake vigorously with ice and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Garnish with a fresh cucumber wheel. (While I am normally a fan of stirring traditional martinis, this needs to be shaken to better release the cucumber flavor.)

Ginger Rogers
Like a Roy Rogers. But with alcohol.

1 ½ oz Skyy Ginger
4 oz Coca-Cola
Dash of grenadine

Build ingredients in a high ball glass over ice. Garnish with a cherry.

Raspberry Ginger Lemonade

1 ½ oz Skyy Ginger
4 oz lemonade
6-8 raspberries

Muddle raspberries. Add ice, vodka and lemonade. Shake and strain into a high ball glass over fresh ice. Garnish with two additional fresh raspberries.

Ginger Gitters

1 oz Skyy Ginger
1 oz X-Rated Fusion liqueur
Champagne to fill

Chill ingredients beforehand. Build in a champagne flute.

No comments:

Post a Comment